5.30.2011

Soccer!

The good news: We finally had our first soccer game the other day and we won!
The bad news: I couldn’t be there to see it because I was in San Pablo.

I had pretty much given up on trying to organize a game for the high school because the rainy season had already started and every other time I tried I was always met with resistance. It was really frustrating because the kids in San Isidro are used to being promised stuff that never actually happens. The day before the game a bunch of kids came up to me saying that surely it would be cancelled because they never get to play for one reason or another. One kid bet me a sucker that the game would be suspended and I told him we would be even if we played and won both games, which we did!

The principal from Llano Bonito gave the team permission to miss the morning classes to play two games against us and my principal cancelled morning classes for the entire high school to watch and cheer for the home team! I wasn’t there, so I don’t know what it was really like, but with the two teams, all the students and teachers from San Isidro and whoever else was randomly watching, there must have been about 150 people there. That’s more than 10% of the population of the town haha. We won the first game 4-1 and the second one 2-1. We’re supposed to return the favor and travel to Llano Bonito for another game or two. As long as I’m free the day they go, I could even play with the team since it’s a friendly match!

Today there were four soccer games between San Isidro and San Pablo. The games corresponded to the “cycles” in the school system. The first cycle is 1st through 3rd, the second is 4th through 6th, then 7th through 9th and finally 10th through 12th. I thought we would get dominated since San Pablo is so much bigger and the kids always talk about how they want to play against other villages about the size of ours, but we held our own. We tied the first game, lost the next two 1-0 and 2-1, and won the final 4-3. Nobody really dominated in any of the four matches; they were all entertaining to watch. Apparently there’s no age limit on the fourth cycle so I can play next time if I want. 

1 comment:

  1. You better consider yourself lucky Heights Club ain't down there. Are your uniforms purple? haha...just kidding. Heights club was kind of lame.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete